Mushrooms in a painting

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Tue Feb 13 15:33:50 EST 2001

Edwin Hutton wrote:

> Nathan Wilson wrote:
> >
> > It actually looks to me like there might be more than one species
> > involved.  The one where you can see the underside the best looks like it
> > was probably white spored.  For that one I lean towards Gymnopus but the
> > gills are unusually shallow.
>
> I haven't heard of Gymnopus. Do you mean Gymnopilus? (which in any case
> has rusty spores).
>
> >  If you look at the larger one with the
> > broken stem it looks like it had a dark spore print.  That one suggests a
> > Hypholoma to me.
>
> The large upsidedown one seems to have black spores and could possibly
> be a woodland Agaricus (e.g. Sylvaticus) with the ring not noticed
> by the artist. There are traces of black spore print on one of the
> upright mushrooms.
>
> The white spored ones could also be Collybia Dryophila, as pointed
> out to me by Paul Pirot by e-mail. The habitat is certainly better
> for this than for Mycena Galericulata.
>
> Someone really ought to go and look at the original painting.
> Any offers?
>
> Edwin Hutton
>

> > -Nathan

> > > They look a bit like a Mycena, possibly M. Galericulata due to the size.
> > > However we can't get a magnifier to them to be at all sure,
> > > and they look a bit old. Fortunately the painter has adopted a
> > > photographic style.
> > >
> > > Edwin Hutton

I have been asked to forward the following to the newsgroup.
Prof. Regis Courtecuisse's diagnosis seems to be a good alternative
to me.
Edwin Hutton

ccess from this computer)

    Determining Fungi on such pictures is always speculative... although
the
painter work is very good in that case...
    The problem is to know if the Fungi represent a single or more
species. I
would be enclined to suggest Psathyrella candolleana, a bristle fungus
with
white gills when young but dark spores when mature. The colour of cap is
not
very typical but this seems possible to me (the painter should not have
forgotten the veil -ring or anything else- if it was present since the
accuracy
of the painting is good)... In fact the two laying specimens at the
lowermost
roght corner also suggest Hypholoma fasciculare... Perhaps these two
species ?
    All the best.

    Régis

P.S. For your information, Gymnopus is a synonym of Collybia.

Prof. Régis Courtecuisse
Département de Botanique
Faculté des Sciences Pharmaceutiques et Biologiques
B.P. 83 ; F-59006 Lille Cedex (France)
rcourtec at phare.univ-lille2.fr