Posting jpeg photos

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at teleport.com
Thu Jul 19 03:07:32 EST 2001

James Taylor <SEE_MY_SIG at nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<ant040151d07fNdQ at oakseed.demon.co.uk>...
> In article <4c72d29a.0107022057.6ea7898f at posting.google.com>,
> Daniel B. Wheeler <dwheeler at teleport.com> wrote:
> >
> > Good post, James. Excellent reasoning,
>
> Gosh thank you. I'm not used to receiving praise on Usenet.
> That's just not how people are. Usually, if people agree they
> say nothing, and if they don't they tell you so forcefully. :-)
>
> > although I'm still in the dark
> > <G> about posting to _any_ posting. With apologies to James, I
> > actually did try to send one through to bionet.mycology: it didn't
> > work. :(
>
> It should be the same as attaching things to an email. Perhaps
> your newsreader is configured to disallow attachments, or perhaps
> one of the news servers that propagated your posting has a filter
> to catch attachments in non-binary groups (a filtering policy that
> I would support).
>
> > In the meantime, I'm running around taking pictures of nearly
> > everything I can find with my new Sony Mavica electronic camera,
>
> I got a new digital camera recently, and the temptation is to go
> wild taking lots of pictures, just because you can.
>
> > And just to keep this still on topic, last weekend I went looking for
> > the rare Bridgeoporus nobilissima, to take pictures of the same.
>
> Hmmm, not heard of that one. I guess it's not a UK species then?
Uh, not that I know of. It is on the Record of Decision for the
Northern Spotted Owl, however. It is currently the only protected
fungus in the US, since it has been found so rarely. Only 34 specimens
were known to exist, and several of those have been destroyed in the
past 3 years.

> > I _did_ get some terrific photographs of the fairly rare Gastroboletus
> > turbinatus, as well as two different animal middens of what I suspect
> > were once Calvatia fumosa. I'm glad the animals were eating this: I
> > dislike the aroma as much as Thaxterogaster pinque, which I also have
> > nice photos of now.
>
> I can't wait to see all these photos on the web. So when are
> you going to post a URL to a web gallery of fungi photos?

<G> Soon. I hope my webmaster will have posted my new webpage with
some of these new pics by the end of the week. I won't be able to
afford putting as many as I wanted up, but there should still be a
fairly good selection. With any luck I will have Tuber lyonii as well.

The Gastroboletus turbinatus photos didn't turn out as well as I
thought they would. The color change is rapid and damatic. But even
though I tried taking as many jpegs as my camera would allow, the
differences between the picture just before and just after cutting
look like they are the same as everything that followed. You almost
have to be present when the mushroom is cut to appreciate how rapidly
this fungus goes from bright-yellow fleshed to dark blue to nearly
purple-black. One oddity though: the base of the stem as just sliced,
turned bright red in one specimen.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com