Postdoctoral positions in Phytophthora sojae molecular biology

Brett Tyler bmtyler at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jul 20 02:48:43 EST 2001

Three postdoctoral positions are available in the molecular analysis
of the Phytophthora sojae-soybean interaction in the following areas.

Gene-for-gene recognition between P. sojae and soybean.

So-called avirulence genes in pathogens directly or indirectly encode
molecules that are recognized by plant receptors encoded by major
resistance genes (R genes). There are 13 major resistance (Rps) genes
in soybean against P. sojae, and matching single dominant avirulence
genes in P. sojae.  We have cloned a 60 kb region spanning the
tightly linked Avr1b and Avr1k genes, and have identified two genes
required for the Avr1b phenotype.  Avr1b-1 encodes a protein that is
secreted by the pathogen specifically during early infection, and
that spreads systemically through the plant.  Avr1b-2 is required for
transcription of Avr1b-1. We are currently focusing on the function
of the Avr1b protein during infection, i.e. is it a virulence factor?
The position on this project will be for 2 years, beginning September
1, 2001.

P. sojae genome project.

We recently have begun a project to develop a coordinated genetic and
physical map of the P. sojae genome, in order to greatly facilitate
the cloning of genes from the organism. BAC libraries of P. sojae
have been constructed and and have been partially assembled into
contigs.  Sequencing of one contig has begun.  We have received a $1m
grant from USDA for Phytophthora genomics, in collaboration with
colleagues in 7 other labs in the US, Canada, The Netherlands and
Scotland.  The goal of this project is to sequence 55,000 ESTs from
P.sojae and P.infestans, then to construct a high density synteny map
of the two species using a novel high-throughput procedure for
matching EST and BAC clones.  We also plan to develop high throughput
methods for silencing or disrupting P. sojae genes in order to
determine the function of the cloned sequences.  Both positions on
this project will be for 3 years, one beginning September 1, 2001 and
the second July 1, 2002.

After July 2002 both projects will be located at the Virginia
Bioinformatics Institute at Virginia Tech University.

If you are interested in one of the postdoctoral positions, please
email me your CV including publications, date of availability and
the names and addresses (including email addresses) of three