Posting jpeg photos

Basidium basidium at aol.com
Wed Jun 13 02:22:56 EST 2001

>With regard to copyright, I believe that your declaration that the photo
>is yours is enough for copyright to apply.

Indeed; contrary to what most people believe, anyone who creates an original
creative work, be it prose or poetry, artwork, photography, etc., can and ought
to post a copyright notice ("Copyright (c) [year] by [name]") on it any time
s/he "publishes" it, including posting to a website or even an internet
newsgroup.

Copyright registration is another matter; in most cases, there is not much
point to paying the registration fee until/unless one is quite confident that
the creation in question is going to be published.
David W. Fischer
Coauthor, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" and
   "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America"
E-mail: basidium at aol.com
Website: http://members.aol.com/mycology