Amanita verna

boletebill droberts03 at snet.net
Fri Jun 22 02:22:13 EST 2001

basidium at aol.com (Basidium) wrote in message news:<20010619102514.11572.00000041 at ng-fc1.aol.com>...
> Have you spoken with Rod Tulloss about it?
> David W. Fischer
> Coauthor, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" and
>    "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America"
> E-mail: basidium at aol.com
> Website: http://members.aol.com/mycology

Yes Dave, I've spoken to Rod Tulloss, Gary Lincoff, Scott Redhead and
others about this modern myth. I can't find a living soul who's
collected it. Rod believes that it's been confused with other taxa for
the most part. Gary said in effect if you found an Amanita that fit
the criteria in the literature (doesn't stain with KOH, elliptical
spores, pendent ring, etc.,etc.,)you could use that name if you
wanted, why not? Scott cited the most recent literature(Amiranti 1975,
Smith 1956) but said he'd never collected it. Have you collected an
Amanita you'd call A. verna Dave? George F Atkinson said it was common
in upstate New York in 1900. Alex Smith said it was common in the
Great Lakes Area in 1956. Everyone I know believes that other people
have collected it EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE NOT.  What happened to the
Fool's Mushroom?
                                   Boletebill