<no subject>

Moselio Schaechter mschaech at sunstroke.sdsu.edu
Mon Jun 25 02:18:50 EST 2001

Dear all,

I am currently engaged in a summertime activity, which is to begin to
assemble a registry of European paintings that include mushrooms somewhere
in the piece.  I do not include illustrations in floras and field guides,
even though many undisputedly constitute art because this is too formidable
a subject.

So far, I have nearly 30 entries, mainly of the post-Renaissance Dutch and
Flemish schools.   The most mycologically prolific of these artists seems to
have been Otto Marseus van Schrieck 1619/20-1678, for whom I have four
entries.  My best source has been the Wasson's "Mushrooms, Russia and
History,"  but I have also gone on successful forays  on my own in several
major museums.

For the sake of making the registry as complete as possible, may I enlist
your help with "finds," either from visit to museums or from other sources?
If possible,  provide me with the name of the artists and the piece, a brief
description including the size, the location of the piece, and, if possible,
the year it was done.

Thanks to all.

Elio Schaechter
Author, "In the Company of Mushrooms"