Anyone know a rust (fungi) on Hydrophylla?

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at teleport.com
Wed Jun 27 02:19:35 EST 2001

quackerbox at webtv.net (Jody Reese) wrote in message news:<13347-3B341EC6-70 at storefull-172.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...
> Is it the same kind of rust like you would find on Grapes? If so,what's
> something that would knock it out? The rust has just appeared and it
> looks like the same kind that desimated them last year:(  Jody

The Hydrophyllum rust is autoecious, meaning found only on
Hydrophyllum. The grape rust or smut you speak of is different. If
could be "noble rot" which turns grapes into works of vinicultural
art. Or it could be the dreaded Phyloxora, but I believe P. usually
shows up on stems and roots.

There are powerful, broad-spectrum anti-fungicides which can be
applied to grapes. Other than being expensive, I can't supply
additional information. Check with your local county extension service
agent for more information.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com