Please help, eliminating spores from houseplants/home....

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at teleport.com
Wed Jun 27 02:19:48 EST 2001

jr <jrafferty at uswest.net> wrote in message news:<3B34E715.C00F6F3B at uswest.net>...
> I recently had many plants infected with a systemic wilting type fungus.
> (Fusarium/verticulum)
> After thrwoing away all my house plants, I am wondering if the couch, rug,
> drapes etc can still contain spores that will infect new plants.
>
> I know that these types of fungi are soil borne but the confusing thing is
> that I have seen them produce growth and spore clusters from the leaves so
> can these types of fungi also infect through the foliage? How long will
> the foliar type spores be viable? And is there some kind of fogger, etc,
> that I can set of in my home that will kill them all?
>
> Thanks,
> -Josh.
I _believe_ that you are speaking of a common parasitic rust which
commonly infects over-watered plants, especially seedlings. While
working in the nursery business, it was referred to as "damping-off
fungus". If the plants you were growing were mature, there is a rather
expensive anti-fungal treatment which can save the plant. However, the
real key to control is allowing more air-circulation to the growing
area. This fungus typically grows only in extremely high-humidity
areas.

Reducing the humidity by 20% or so should effectively control spread
of the fungus.

More importantly, if the growing area is inside your home, there is an
excellent chance you have other fungi which are _NOT_ conducive to
health. Dessication/dehydration is the fastest and most effective
treatment I am aware of. If you are worried about spores still in the
rugs, try a 1:10 bleach solution, but try it on an out-of-the-way part
of the rug first. The solution will kill most molds and fungi,
including the spores. But it could also bleach the color from your
rugs!

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com