<no subject>

Moselio Schaechter mschaech at sunstroke.sdsu.edu
Thu Mar 1 02:37:16 EST 2001

Recently, I posted the following regarding  Elias M. Fries.  It is in error.

"Further down in Ainsworth, and possibly not relevant to this, we read: "He
subsequently moved to a post in Breslau where in old age he became extremely
radical, advocating the reform of Christianity and free marriage without
State intervention,; views which led to his dismissal."

I misread Ainsworth.   The radical mycologist in question was not Fries but
Christian G. Nees von Esenbeck.

I thank Don Pfister for pointing out this mistake and for helping restore
Fries' reputation to its unsullied lofty heights.

Elio Schaechter
Author, "In the Company of Mushrooms"
Harvard University Press
http://www.bio.sdsu.edu/faculty/schaechter.htm