Angel's Wings

B.W. Freyburger freyburg at cia-g.com
Mon Mar 26 14:06:03 EST 2001

I presume you are speaking of Pleurotus porrigens (synonyms =
Pleurocybella porrigens, Pleurocybella porrigens and Pleurotellus
porrigens), commonly known as "Angel Wings" according to Arora's DM2.
Although listing them as "edible" he says "but in my humble fungal opinion,
bland and insubstantial.  However, some people proclaim it superior to P.
ostreatus."  I am not familiar with them and do not recall running across
them (though they are probably around) but have seen them mentioned some
time back I think on alt.nature.mushrooms.  You might want to look at some
of the following:

http://www.geocities.com/vancouver_myco/Mania/anglwing.html
http://www.discoverlife.org/nh/tx/Fungi/images/PleuroSR.400x257.jpg.html
http://www.cegep-sept-iles.qc.ca/raymondboyer/champignons/Tricholomatacees_M
-R.htm (scroll down to
Pleurocybella porrigens, text in French)
http://www.nhm.uio.no/botanisk/bot-mus/sopp/fakta/fakt-24.htm (in Norwegian)
http://www.nhm.uio.no/botanisk/bot-mus/sopp/fakta/fakt-24.htm#Engl (same as
above in English)
http://www.fishing-in-wales.com/wildlife/fungi/angels.htm (This UK site