mushrooms

Pedro Claro bellatrix at aeiou.pt
Thu May 3 18:01:55 EST 2001


"treelike" <treelike at my-deja.com> escreveu na mensagem
news:9cmvuo$2gp$1 at taliesin.netcom.net.uk...
>
> Pedro Claro wrote in message <9ckcka$14q$1 at venus.telepac.pt>...
>
> >By the way... why do all North European books (English included) state
> >Tricholoma flavovirens is poisonous? It's everyone's food around here, in
> >October and November...  Also, in French, Spanish, Italian and American
> >books and data, it is always stated T. flavovirens is edible. Can anyone
> >clarify this for me? Thanks.
>
>
> T. sejunctum and T. sulphureum are poisonous and look similar to T.
> flavovirens so maybe that has something to do with it.
>

Can't be neither. I can't believe T. flavovirens can be mistaken for T.
sejunctum or T. sulphureum, especially because of the disgusting smell of
these two.

I reviewed all my bibliography and came up with this:

- "Les champignons de France - colection Guide Vert" - T. auratum = T.
equestre, edible and excellent. No reference to designation T. flavovirens.
- "Audubon Society field guide" - T. flavovirens = T. equestre, good edible
(rather short adjective, I'd say!) No reference to designation T. auratum.
- Arora's "Mushrooms demystified" - T. flavovirens = T. equestre, edible and
excellent. No reference to T. auratum, but a similar species is refered (T.
leucophyllum), which may be a North American only species.
- The before mentioned "Encyclopedia of Fungi of Britain and Europe" - T.
auratum = T. equestre, poisonous(!!!).
- A portuguese book (1996) - T. flavovirens = T. auratum = T. equestre,
edible and excellent.

Comments: it seems all 3 designations have been used without criteria. If
there are two species (T. auratum <> T. flavovirens = T. equestre), the
first one being poisonous and the other edible, I don't remember collecting
any mushrooms with noticeable differences, and I ate them all, with no ill
effects. Around here, as I said before, everybody collects and eats them,
and that I know, there hasn't been any case of poisoning. By the way, I coll
ect them in pine forests, with sandy soil (I live 8 km. from the ocean).

Can we be talking of a single species that, in certain circumstances, can
cause poisoning? For instance, mushrooms growing in soils rich in nitrates
or other things? Anyway, I'll try to be more accurate in my analysis of any
yellow-greenish Tricholoma I collect next Autumn.

Thanks for averyone's comments.

Pedro Claro
Marinha Grande - Portugal






More information about the Mycology mailing list