HELP! Unknown structure/organism on surface of plants and fungi

Stephen M. Marek smmarek at ucdavis.edu
Fri May 18 02:44:10 EST 2001

Dear bionet.mycology,

I received prompt answers from Don Pfister, Robert Chehey and Brigitte
Mauch-Mani.  My eternal gratitude!  The structures were...drum roll
please...pine pollen!  This explains why it's found on such a wide variety
of surfaces.  The pines have been shedding massive amounts of pollen over
the past month.  Please see the websites below for images of these seemingly
ubiquitous airborne propagules.

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/earth/geoscience/shape.html
http://www.bsip.com/html/html3/a0142.htm
http://scrl.usda.gov/scrl/apmru/imms/pollen/light_micrographs/pinaceae/Pinac