Please help identify a fungus

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Fri Nov 30 04:34:39 EST 2001

yurok1500 at aol.com (YUROK1500) wrote in message news:<20011129001337.07958.00001887 at mb-de.aol.com>...
> There is a fungus growing in a bedroom of my house.  It is orange in color,
> firm and looks like cauliflower.  It is growing right at the baseboard from
> between the wall and the carpet.  It is growing under a dresser.  If anyone can
> give me some idea of what this is I would be greatful.  I cannot find anything
> similar on the net. I am particularly interested to know if this could be
> poisoness as it is growing in my 8 yr. old daughters room.

Without a photo or a better description, few mycologists will be able
to help you identify the fungus. However, it would be a good idea to
remove the fungus immediately. Most fungi produce prodigious
quantities of spores (seeds) which are often wind-dispersed. Children
are especially susceptible to spores, which can give them symptoms
similar to hay-fever.

Treat the affected area with a solution of one part bleach and 9 parts
water to kill most fungal mycelium in the area. This will also bleach
any wood the solutions comes in contact with.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com