ID help please

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Wed Oct 10 03:46:16 EST 2001

Fd 10/9/2001 the following fungi, including one which I have not been
able to possitively key out.

Tricholoma magnivelare (which shall become this evening's omelette)
Scleroderma verrucosum (a first for me, so will have to await
confirmation to be sure, but collected in sandy/gravel/rocky soil? and
fully opened at the top, almost in a funnel-shape to, I presume,
funnel water into the gleba and splash out as many spores as
possible.)

The final fungus has me slightly stumped.

It appears to be a Tricholoma, with slightly scaley stem, but is
atypical when compared to most of my books. The stipe is large (over 1
inch=2.5 cm thick), short (total fungal height is under 3 inches) and
mostly buried (probably 1.5 inches or 4 cm underground). The stipe is
slightly rooted, and narrows quickly under where the soil would have
been. There is no annulus that I can detect, although there is a
slight brownish irregular discolorartion where one might have been.
Since this also happens to be where the soil surface was, it is
difficult to tell with certainty.

The cap is 2.5-3 inches across (5-8 cm), slightly fibrillose from an
off-set center. The stipe is also off-set, is white, and shows no
bruising reaction. If it helps identification at all, the stipe also
has split nearly in two, is largest where attached to the cap, bulbous
to just below the soil surface, and the split continues another 1.5
inch deeper.

Gills are off-white, crowded, wrinkled. Cap is still covered in some
humus.Cap is off-white to very light brownish, with some fibrils
visible through the humus still on the cap.

Nearby trees were cottonwood, Red alder, Douglas fir, Western hemlock,
Pacific Silver fir, Western red cedar. The closest tree was a Red
alder.

The entire fungus is quite dry, even though there was at least an inch
of rainfall the previous 24 hours. Temperature at harvest was less
than 50 degrees, and several puddles/pockets of water were still
present on the trail near which the fungus was found.

Any suggestions?

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com