Fungi fd. 9/1/01

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Tue Sep 4 17:50:42 EST 2001

Fungi fd. 9/1/01 at Clark Co, WA:

Cyathus olla
Tuber gibbosum var. autumnale
Polyporus varius
Lycoperdon perlatum
resupinate white crust fungi on underside of Douglas fir branches

Comment by poster: this is about the earliest I have ever seen mature
Tuber gibbosum var. autumnale: an indication the season may be earlier
than normal. Although fairly small (about 1 inch diameter) the
truffles were already parasitized by both insects and voles, which are
excellent indications of maturity (along with the odor). Animal
activity was abundant, including owl pellets. The voles are getting
nervous as I do more basal pruning in the stand, opening the
understory up for predation by Northern Spotted owls and other ground
predators. Perhaps the best thing about basal pruning, however, is
knowing that the stand is nearly fire-proof as a result. Yes, the
trees _could_ still burn. But it will be _much_ more difficult when
the fuel is either several feet above the existing fuel, or up to 40
feet laterally. Yes, it's a lot of work. But it sure is easier to walk
without branches hitting you in the face, and the mushrooms stand out
against the branchless ground.

Posted as a courtesy by
Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com