How many fungi?

Heine J. Deelstra heine at deelstra.net
Wed Sep 5 01:57:09 EST 2001

Daniel Wheeler wrote:

> BTW, the above total may sound overestimated by some. But when such
> things as rusts, smuts, ectomycorrhizae, endomycorrhizae, soil, and
> compost actinomycetes are added, it doesn't seem an overestimate (at
> least to me) at all. Then you have the newly discovered endophytic
> fungi, found inside the living leaves of trees and plants, only a few
> of which have ever been examined to date... I remember reading about
> some 40-60 endophytic fungi being found on the inside of Douglas fir
> needles in the 90's, a single tree species. Who knows how many pine
> endophytic fungi there are?

If you're counting actinomycetes (e.g. Streptomyces sp) as fungi, this
should be considered cheating. Actinomycetes are prokaryotic.
One related remark though: What did David Hawksworth count as 'fungi'?
Only Chytridio-, Zygo-, Asco- and Basidiomycetes? Or did he also include
Oomycetes etc?

Greets,

Heine Deelstra