How many fungi?

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Mon Sep 10 01:40:42 EST 2001

"Heine J. Deelstra" <heine at deelstra.net> wrote in message news:<3B95C9A4.D06197DE at deelstra.net>...
> Daniel Wheeler wrote:
>
> > BTW, the above total may sound overestimated by some. But when such
> > things as rusts, smuts, ectomycorrhizae, endomycorrhizae, soil, and
> > compost actinomycetes are added, it doesn't seem an overestimate (at
> > least to me) at all. Then you have the newly discovered endophytic
> > fungi, found inside the living leaves of trees and plants, only a few
> > of which have ever been examined to date... I remember reading about
> > some 40-60 endophytic fungi being found on the inside of Douglas fir
> > needles in the 90's, a single tree species. Who knows how many pine
> > endophytic fungi there are?
>
> If you're counting actinomycetes (e.g. Streptomyces sp) as fungi, this
> should be considered cheating. Actinomycetes are prokaryotic.
> One related remark though: What did David Hawksworth count as 'fungi'?
> Only Chytridio-, Zygo-, Asco- and Basidiomycetes? Or did he also include
> Oomycetes etc?

I guess I'm off base there Heine. It seemed to me that since
basidiomycetes (fungi with spores borne on basidia) and ascomycetes
(fungi with spores borne in ascii) as well as Termitomyces (termite
mushroom) all having -myces as part of their name, they might well be
fungi as well.

As for what David Hawksworth counts as fungi, I don't know. All I did
was post what Bryce Kendricks had said: a profound few words if ever I
read them.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com