compost actinomycetes ?

Bruce A. Caldwell caldwelb at fsl.orst.edu
Mon Sep 10 01:41:42 EST 2001

   Just a microbiological note: "compost actinomycetes" are actually
bacteria.. Long mistaken for fungi based solely on their filamentous
growth, they have true procaryotes with gram+ cell wall and  bacteria
ribosomes. In fact, the actinomycetes are the source of most anti-fungal
antibiotics.
   While there are thermophilic fungi that are important in composting,
actinomycetes are much more important because of their greater temperature
tolerance.

Bruce Caldwell
Department of Forest Science
321 Richardson Hall