a greenish Tricholoma?

Nathan Wilson velosa at cinenet.net
Tue Sep 11 01:43:22 EST 2001

As a wild guess, since I've never hunted in GA nor do I have a picture,
how about Tricholoma saponaceum?  I have found that the cap color of this
species is quite variable including specimens that were pure green.  The
two features I rely on in identifying this species are pink flesh at the
very base of the stalk (white otherwise) and a characteristic 'soapy'
smell (again particularly at the base of the stipe).  A supporting feature
that isn't always present are small slightly darker spots (kind of like
watermarks) near the margin of the cap.  The watermark spots are more
common on young specimens.

Enjoy!
-Nathan