More truffle pics

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Thu Apr 11 10:37:24 EST 2002

Have just added to my website two more pictures of truffles. The first
is a combination of Tuber gibbosum var. autumnale (Oregon White
truffle) and Tuber aestivum (Summer truffle). The second, while
currently mis-named (sorry) is Tuber lyonii, or Pecan truffle.

A little information about the latter. Trappe and Cazares recently
renamed T. texense and at least one variant of T. rufum var. nitidum
into T. lyonii. This fungus has already been reported many times in
Mexico, the US and even into Canada. Season is from May (Mexico) to as
late April (Michigan), indicating that the truffle _may_ be found year
round depending on the locale. Apparently it can survive freezing
temperatures with little or now damage. The MI collection was found
just after a snow bank four feet deep had melted. The newly uncovered
truffles were still quite cold, but surprisingly undamaged, continuing
to mature.

Potential host trees for T. lyonii include hawthorne, American
basswood, Shagbark hickory and pecan. But the largest and more
prolific collections are from basswood and pecan. Since these trees
are widely dispersed across the US (my aunt has pecan trees near
Brownsville, OR; and I have found T. rufum var. nitidum under
Douglas-fir near Lebanon, OR) it is quite possibly the most abundant
single truffle species in the US. Apparently fruiting begins in the
deep south and continues fruiting into the northern extremes. It has
been reported from Quebec under oak trees (sorry, I don't know what
oak species).

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com