how to grow fungus on a piece of glass

Artem Evdokimov AEVDOKIMOZ at cinci.rr.com
Thu Apr 11 10:37:30 EST 2002

Pick up an old photography book. Some of them have recipes for coating glass
plates with gelatin. Prepare some plates, store them in moist environment
and see what grows randomly - or seed with some sort of commercial spores. I
bet you can get fancy if you mix several cultures, too.
If you fail to find plate recipes - experiment. Basically, old photoplates
are glass coated with gelatin suspension of photoreactive material.
Sometimes other binders were used. Most of these binders are organic -
therefore edible by fungi (which, generally speaking, eat things that most
other organisms 'throw in the trash' so to speak). The whole thin isn't
dissimilar to covering Petri dishes with media - just the medium in this
case is thin and is originally supposed to be a photoreactive slurry.

Good luck,

A.G.E.

news:B8CBE15D.2CC0%james at consumptive.org...