Terfezia sps. _tentatively_ identified

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Thu Apr 11 10:38:34 EST 2002

Today I took dried samples of the Moroccan truffles I received in
March to Ephram Cazares at the Forestry Sciences Lab at Oregon State
University. He will be delivering the samples to Michael Castellano
for identification later. I'll share any information Michael passes
on.

Ephram suggested the species could be Terfezia boudedri. If so, this
species is commonly found associated with annual plant species, and
truffle cultivation in Morocco might be a simple as planting a small
irrigated area with, say, soybean or corn. The sand associated with
the specimens indicated strongly that the fungi adhers to sand even
after harvest. There is a felt-like, thin layer of rhizomorphs which
comprise the peridium, but can be easily scraped away with the sharp
edge of a knife. The flavor is quite similar to Tuber gibbosum but
more complex.

Ephram noted today that some of the aromatic esthers are similar to T.
melanosporum. Perhaps gas chromatographs would confirm that.

But in my experience, Tuber melanosporum is far more pungently of
garlic, while Terfezia boudedri (boudleri?) is more elements of
butter, nuts, and elements of wine and herbs.

Oh, and by the way: extremely good eating after the sand was been
_thoroughly_ cleaned off.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com