how to grow fungus on a piece of glass

Colin A. B. Davidson cabd2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 12 03:56:25 EST 2002

"Jorge1907" <jorge1907 at aol.comcomm> wrote in message
news:20020411074033.00688.00002260 at mb-cq.aol.com...
> Jim:
>
> Can you say more about the material involved?  For example, old glass
negatives
> - would these have perhaps gelatin coatings?

I'm sure that old photographic plates were indeed made out of gelatin on
glass. And it ougtn't be too hard to grow some manner of fungus that
expresses an apprpriate protease on there. I'd be a little concerned about
doing this outside the lab, though, out of fear of isolating and growing
random bacterial species that could also degrade the gelatin and which might
not be awfully nice.