pasteurisation of shiitake sawdustbags

Gunilla Fagerholm gunilla.fagerholm at _NO_JUNK_telia.com
Mon Apr 15 03:54:22 EST 2002

On 12 Apr 2002 09:56:12 +0100, hapltda at hotmail.com (Hans Plank) wrote:

>Does somebody have experience with pasteurisation of shiitake
>sawdustbags for comercial growing? (reducing inicial investment)
>Thanks for sharing
>
>Hans Plank
>Brazil

Yes, we started testing "tyndallization" (pasteurisation, then wait 24
hours and then repeat pasteurisation) on bags with mixture of alder
sawdust and alder chips. We followed a Paul Stamet recipe and added
bran and gypsum (which we sterilized in a pressure cooker) at the same
time as adding the shiitake mycelium. This was 5 weeks ago and we are
already having mushrooms on the first bags . The bags look very well.
We are continuing experimenting with this.
Gunilla Fagerholm
Sweden