Please help identify this...

Pete Pete532 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 3 04:29:32 EST 2002

Daniel:

Thanks for your insights. I also received two private emails identifying
the pictures as salmon roe!! I am not an expert on either salmon roe or
fungi, so I can't add anything to this discussion.

Two days before I got your message, I was back on site, and checked the
specimen. It had deterioriated considerably in 6 weeks (i.e. a
disgusting mess), leaving soft pale pink skins and very little inside.
It smelled slightly fishy.

Next time I see something unusual, I'll grab a sample right away, and
photo the undersides.

If it is salmon roe, I wonder how it got there. The prime suspects are
leftovers from a river otter or bald eagle, but there were no other fish
remains in the area.

Pete