Why so many different mushrooms?

dcb cgrossby at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 09:08:21 EST 2002

In article <a3pbbn$1a52o5$1 at ID-32482.news.dfncis.de>, "treelike"
<treelike at lineone.net> wrote:

> Daniel B. Wheeler wrote in message
> <6dafee1b.0201312030.48ce82c9 at posting.google.com>...
> >gerchman at Princeton.EDU (Yoram Gerchman) wrote in message
> news:<3C5830CE.4D93 at smtpserver2.Princeton.EDU>...
> >> Dear group
> >> As you all know mushrooms come in a big variety of shapes and colors.
> What
> >> I am trying to figure out is why? In flowers it is believed to evolved
> buy
> >> the relationship flowers-pollinators, but what is the case for mushrooms?
> >> Thanks, Yoram

The variety of shapes of the fruiting bodies (the mushroom),
is likely due to adapting to various niches.
Fungi are not pollinated, but the fruiting body
is the spore distribution mechanism. So, in that sense, it
is similar.

Some organisms advertise themselves with distinctive colors,
which potential predators recognize as 'I am very poisonous
and not at all tasty'. Its possible this is the case with
mushrooms, e.g. the amanitas.