Any experts on Dentinum?

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Wed Feb 13 09:09:18 EST 2002

While looking at a possible sp. nov. Tuber yesterday, I noticed a very
large (over 5 inches diameter) Dentinum species which was unknown to
me. Although similar to Dentinum repandum (with which it was lumped),
this specimen/species differed in having:

A centrally depression extending into the stipe
Scales
Slightly off-white coloration
According to the mushroom wholesaler, a "better taste" than the
typical 1.5-3" diameter D. repandum with which they were mixed.

Of the perhaps 15 pounds of Dentinum I saw in boxes, only 3 appeared
to be this larger variety. I was informed they are called "spreaders"
by the pickers, and were probably collected in Coos County, Oregon.

Any ideas?

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com