Good Ascomycete book?

Darvin DeShazer muscaria at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 14 05:08:49 EST 2002

In article <6dafee1b.0202082348.2203a0de at posting.google.com>,
 dwheeler at ipns.com (Daniel B. Wheeler) wrote:

> I'm been finding several new (to me) cup fungi, and was wondering if
> anyone had a recommendation for a book covering cup fungi and
> ascomycetes in the Pacific Northwest.
>
> Last weekend, for example, found a red cup fungus about 1.5 inches
> diameter, a  black or dark chocolate brown cup fungus with a stem, a
> small pinched cup fungus still mostly in-rolled, and finally a black
> cup fungus (maybe?) with an off-center stem and a shape that resembled
> Otidea.
>
> Anyone want to take a guess what kind of cup fungi would be fruiting,
> apparently just after snowfalls, in this area?
>
> Daniel B.Wheeler
> www.oregonwhitetrufles.com

Here are a few good ones to try:

Tylutki, E. E.  1979.  Mushrooms of Idaho and the Pacific Northwest
Discomycetes.  Univ. Press of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho.  133p.

Seaver, F. J.  1978 (Reprint of 1928 with revisions of 1942).  The North
American Cup-Fungi (Operculates).  J. Cramer, New York, NY.  377p.

Seaver, F. J.  1951.  The North American Cup-Fungi (Inoperculates).  J.
Cramer, New York, NY.  428p.

Breitenbach J. and F. Kranzlin, editors.  1984.  Fungi of Switzerland
Vol. 1.  Mykologia, Luzern.  310p.

Smith, A. H., H. V. Smith and N. S. Weber.  1981.  How to Know the
Non-gilled Mushrooms.  Wm. C. Brown Co., Dubuque, Iowa.  324p.