Any experts on Dentinum?

Darvin DeShazer muscaria at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 14 05:08:51 EST 2002

In article <6dafee1b.0202122048.2cd9b226 at posting.google.com>,
 dwheeler at ipns.com (Daniel B. Wheeler) wrote:

> While looking at a possible sp. nov. Tuber yesterday, I noticed a very
> large (over 5 inches diameter) Dentinum species which was unknown to
> me. Although similar to Dentinum repandum (with which it was lumped),
> this specimen/species differed in having:
>
> A centrally depression extending into the stipe
> Scales
> Slightly off-white coloration
> According to the mushroom wholesaler, a "better taste" than the
> typical 1.5-3" diameter D. repandum with which they were mixed.
>
> Of the perhaps 15 pounds of Dentinum I saw in boxes, only 3 appeared
> to be this larger variety. I was informed they are called "spreaders"
> by the pickers, and were probably collected in Coos County, Oregon.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Daniel B. Wheeler
> www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Dentinum repandum gets very big, when allowed to grow.  I have seen them
over a foot in diameter and several inches thick.  The commerical
bucketeers are keeping them so small by picking every one they find.
The scales and umbilicate center are normal variations.
Darvin
http://SOMAmushrooms.org
http://home.pacbell.net/muscaria