In nomenclature, what does "cf" mean?

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Thu Jan 10 05:41:07 EST 2002

"Gils Gayraud" <gilisa at free.fr> wrote in message news:<3c3ae552$0$194$626a54ce at news.free.fr>...
> > In reading my of my older McIlvania's, I came across A(manita). cf.
> > rubescens. What does the cf. stand for? I have seen the reference in
> > some of my collections as well, but do not recognize the reference.
>
> This abreviation comes from french language.
> It means "to confer to somebody" if you find this abreviation
> on some books like "cf. Chap 11" it means look at the chapter 11
> for more details or more explanations.
> Bests Regards.
> Gils Gayraud.

Thanks everyone. In addition to the posted responses, I also received
several emails on the subject. I shall now consider myself informed
that "cf." means "to confer upon" and indicates the specimen is near
the species named, but may not match all of the descriptive criteria
exactly.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com