(no subject)

STUSMENTAL at aol.com STUSMENTAL at aol.com
Fri Jan 25 06:15:39 EST 2002

Hi , I am an undergraduate biologist (in england) and I am going to do a
project on trying to increase the concentration of alcohol that can be
fermented (i.e. increase the tolerance of the yeast to the alcohol). My
project is to investigate the possibility of elevating the tolerance ( of
ethanol, in yeast ) through simple random mutagenesis, using UV light.
If this method does actually succeed in significantly increasing the amount
of ethanol that is fermented  what is the reason/physical mechanism?
also, if it is unsuccessful, what are the reasons?

Hope to hear from you soon. (with any links you think might help me etc.)

cheers.

stuart wilkinson