Amanita phalloides poisonings

Basidium basidium at aol.com
Fri Jan 25 06:15:39 EST 2002


"Mushroom hunting couple released from hospital"

Published 7:30 p.m. PST Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2002
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A mushroom hunting couple who mistakenly ate "death caps"
has been released from the hospital.
The unidentified couple in their 50s ate the mushrooms two weeks ago and came
close to needing liver transplants.

Amanita phalloides mushrooms can destroy the liver.

The couple reportedly picked the mushrooms themselves when they were visiting
relatives in Watsonville. They prepared and ate a stew on Jan. 8. Hours later,
they began suffering from nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and severe cramps, and
checked themselves into the local hospital.

Ann Mosher, of the California Pacific Medical Center, says the husband was
released Tuesday and was expected to fully recover. The wife was released last
week.

Mosher said they two are feeling lucky to be alive. "They won't be picking any
wild mushrooms," she said. 

David W. Fischer
~check out audio samples from my new CD at www.binghamton.nu
Coauthor, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" and
   "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America"
E-mail: basidium at aol.com
Mycology: http://members.aol.com/mycology




More information about the Mycology mailing list