Amanita phalloides poisonings

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Mon Jan 28 04:48:56 EST 2002


basidium at aol.com (Basidium) wrote in message news:<20020124091956.13769.00000415 at mb-fo.aol.com>...
> "Mushroom hunting couple released from hospital"
> 
> Published 7:30 p.m. PST Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2002
> SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A mushroom hunting couple who mistakenly ate "death caps"
> has been released from the hospital.
> The unidentified couple in their 50s ate the mushrooms two weeks ago and came
> close to needing liver transplants.
> 
> Amanita phalloides mushrooms can destroy the liver.
> 
> The couple reportedly picked the mushrooms themselves when they were visiting
> relatives in Watsonville. They prepared and ate a stew on Jan. 8. Hours later,
> they began suffering from nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and severe cramps, and
> checked themselves into the local hospital.
> 
> Ann Mosher, of the California Pacific Medical Center, says the husband was
> released Tuesday and was expected to fully recover. The wife was released last
> week.
> 
> Mosher said they two are feeling lucky to be alive. "They won't be picking any
> wild mushrooms," she said. 
> 
Thanks David. I'm reminded of what Mark Twain (I believe) wrote:

"The sad thing about a cat that jumps on a hot stove is not that it
gets burned, it's that it will never jump on a stove again."

OTOH, if they didn't know they were eating A. phalloides, perhaps it
is just as well.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com




More information about the Mycology mailing list