"Chicken of the woods"?

Mycos amanita at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 19 04:00:55 EST 2002

On 18 Jun 2002 09:37:19 +0100, Bill Walker <bhw at wam.umd.edu> wrote:

>Also:
>
>I had collected a bunch of other mushrooms for identification, and
>noticed that there were a bunch of tiny white worms emerging from what I
>tentatively identified as Marasmius oreades, the "fairy ring mushroom".
>(Of course, it could be damn near anything else for I know.  They were
>brown/yellow, gave a brown spore print, grew in a ring in the grass near
>some small planted trees, and had gills broadly attached to the stipe -
>the kind of gills where not all of them are attached to the stipe.

Do *not* eat this mushroom. It isn't a Marasmius species. They have a
white spore print.

As a general rule, leave the LBM's alone. The "Fairy Ring Mushroom" is
good, and once you have seen it you will easily remember it, but the
hallmarks are cream colored, widely spaced gills with a stalk that is
extremely tough and leathery compared to other species.
Also, they are notorious for leaving that arc or circle of dead grass
and/or brighter, greener healthy grass on lawns.

Many mushrooms form "fairy rings" but few others wreak such havoc with
the nutrients that the grass depends on.

>I'll try to get a scan of the ones I dried out at 37 deg C. )
>
>Anyway, how do most people 'debug' their mushrooms, either for sample
>preservation or as preparation for eating?

For something the size of M. oreades, I simply move on. :)

>Thanks for helping a fledgling mycologist/mycophile/mycophage :)
>
>Bill

G.Williams