"Chicken of the woods"?

Bill Walker bhw at wam.umd.edu
Thu Jun 20 04:06:33 EST 2002

> > http://www.wam.umd.edu/~bhw/Mushroom1.jpg
> > http://www.wam.umd.edu/~bhw/Mushroom2.jpg
>
> Looks very like it. Do the smell and the taste match the identification?

Dunno.  What's it supposed to smell like?
As for taste, I wasn't about to even lick it until I KNEW it was OK.
As this is supposed to be one of the "foolproof four", and no one has raised
any objections to my tentative identification so far, I suppose that a little
nibble couldn't hurt.

> Looking in Paul Stamets book "Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms" I see
> that he reccomends inoculating hardwood logs, presumably by using plugs of
> fresh material, which would make sense as this species seems to grow most
> often on stumps. My own experience of picking this species indicate that it
> fruits most heavily on willow, so if you have such wood avilable then that
> might work well.

Yeah, I've got to add  Aurora's Mushrooms Demystified and some of Stamet's
books to my collection.  But as a grad student, I'm quickly running out of
money and space for books... :)

Most of the willows we have around here are small, and so I probably won't
sacrifice them to the mycological gods.  We do have a bunch of freshly cut
stumps in the area that could use a bit of decoration though...

Thanks