Preserving Giant Puffball

Basidium basidium at aol.com
Thu Jun 20 04:06:51 EST 2002

>I was fortunate today to find a beautiful 4 lb giant puffball in prestine
>condition.   I found it in the Wasatch mountains  East of Ogden Utah, (about
>5
>miles from where the mens downhill olympic ski races took place)  No maggaots
>or signs of deterioration.  I plan to cut it up and cubes and freeze it for
>use
>latter on.  Is this a good way to preserve puffballs or is there a better
>way?

I have had great results by slicing the puffball and freezing the slices with
sheets of waxed paper separating them.  As with all fresh-frozen mushrooms, the
trick is to have the cooking pan hot before you even get the mushrooms out of
the freezer.  (If you allow them to thaw first, they turn into a gelatinous
mess.)  Done this way, it's darn close to "fresh" in terms of flavor and
texture.
David W. Fischer
~check out audio samples from my new CD at www.ixnygraphics.com
Coauthor, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" and
   "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America"
Mycology: http://members.aol.com/mycology/index.html