Preserving Giant Puffball

Colin Davidson cabd2 at biotech.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 21 04:19:24 EST 2002

"Daniel B. Wheeler" <dwheeler at ipns.com> wrote in message
news:6dafee1b.0206192102.30bbc6f8 at posting.google.com...

> I have seen specimens which were sliced 1/2"-1" thick and dried in
> slabs, then offered for sale to restaurants and food specilists
> (chefs). Dried material reported reconstitutes well. I cannot vouch
> for the flavor, though.
>
> The classic harvest method (assuming the specimen is near where you
> live) is to take a 1/2"-1" slab off the top of the mushroom, and allow
> the rest to "heal". The initial cut will cause the mushroom to slow
> down development until it has healed from the wound, and allows
> several meals to be made from it (supposedly). I cannot personally
> verify this procedure: I have not found a giant puffball.

You've not found a giant puffball? I'm genuinely astonished! I'd have
thought you'd be tripping over them out there!

That harvesting technique can work well, depending on the age of the
specimen and the weather conditions. If it stays cool-ish and wet-ish then
you'll be fine cutting it like that for a couple of weeks without any
problem, I've harvested four or five good slices that way. You get problems
if the weather becomes hotter and drier (leading to the specimen ripening,
turning greeny yellow and inedible) or if you get a sudden wet patch, as
heavy rain can make such damaged specimen rot.

As I mentioned earlier, my favoured method for using up a larger specimen is
to hold a dinner party :-)