"Chicken of the woods"?

Mycos amanita at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 24 03:35:58 EST 2002

On 20 Jun 2002 10:06:39 +0100, Bill Walker <bhw at wam.umd.edu> wrote:

>Mycos wrote:
>
>> >They were
>> >brown/yellow, gave a brown spore print, grew in a ring in the grass near
>> >some small planted trees, and had gills broadly attached to the stipe -
>> >the kind of gills where not all of them are attached to the stipe.
>
>Is there a technical term for this type of gill morphology?

I'd never really thought about that until you mentioned it here. Those
"half-gills"  seem to be present more often than not it seems though,
at least from memory. But you're question piqued my curiosity and I
have found a word for those short gills that don't make it all the way
from cap margin to the stalk/stipe. They're called lamellulae, in
contrast to the entire gills, lamellae. There you go. News to me as
well :)
>> Do *not* eat this mushroom. It isn't a Marasmius species. They have a
>> white spore print.
>
>I most certainly won't.  The goal this summer is to collect and identify in
>order to gain familiarity and competence, both in hunting and
>identification.  I'm not in a hurry to win a Darwin Award.  I prefer it when
>things that I win aren't awarded posthumously.

Heh!

>The LBM's are certain to provide me with a rich educational experience.

Ohhh. Indeed they will. Little horror shows. Each and every one.
Although some members of the genus Psilocybe will provide a rich
experience. Whether it's educational  is a matter of debate.

>Concerning spore color, I recently collected a variety of bracket and LBM's,
>and after 2 days of sitting on black/white paper, they failed to deposit a
>visible spore print.  Either they dumped all of their spores by the time I
>got them home to print them, or they're tenaciously stuck to the shroom and
>aren't coming off.  Should I try to store collected mushrooms upside down
>until I get around to spore printing them, and how can I identify the spore
>color on the samples that I have now?  Microscope?

The bracket fungi, or polypores as I refer to them, usually don't give
up much of a spore print. Instead, look closely around the area where
you find it. If it is overlapping another one, there is often a good
dusting of spores on the top side of the one below, or even if it is
single, the bark of the tree sometimes shows a dusting as well.

This works with regular mushrooms that are growing in a dense cluster
as well, which is nice as it gives you pause to sit down and, already
knowing the print color, go through your field guide. The tree's it's
growing with, variations in size and age are all right there in front
of you, all things that are very helpful in ID'ing your shrooms
As for getting a mushroom to produce spores, I've read somewhere (and
I do it myself) that wetting the top of the cap stimulates spore
production. I don't know if actually works, but what the heck.
Be sure to place a cup or bowl over your specimens. It's quite
surprising how little draft it takes to carry the spores away.

>Also, I have read (can't remember where) that some species of mushroom are
>toxic enough where even the ingestion/inhalation of a few spores is enough
>to have a toxic effect.  Is this true?  I'd like to know before bringing a
>big Destroying Angel or Detah Cap home and spore printing it.

Not to worry . There are some molds that can give off spores that are
toxic and I've heard of people in the industry developing a
sensitivity to the heavy spore load that they are constantly inhaling,
but there are no mushroom sized fungi that are anywhere near that
toxic.

>Thanks,
>
>Bill

G.Williams