please help to identify

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Mon Mar 25 04:26:04 EST 2002

"Andrzej Paszczynski" <andrzej at uidaho.edu> wrote in message news:<KGEIIBGALPJEBLAICAJCMEFACDAA.andrzej at uidaho.edu>...
> Hi Everybody,
>
> This picture was sent to me by one of our extension faculty.
> Any help with identification will be greatly appreciated.
> Picture can be viewed at: http://image.fs.uidaho.edu/fungus1.jpg
>
> Andrzej J. Paszczynski
> Associate Professor
> Environmental Biotechnology Institute
> Food Research Center
> University of Idaho
> Moscow, ID 83844-1052
> Phone:  208-885-6318
> FAX:    208-885-5741
> E-Mail: andrzej at uidaho.edu

I've looked at the photo. And I've found Pisolithus tinctorius several
times.

To me, this _does not_ look like Pisolithus tinctorius. However, the
identifying features are in the inside, not the outside, of the
fungus. A slice through the center of the fungus should reveal
pea-like chambers called peridiols, where the spores are produced.

Typically, P.t. degrades from the top down, producing prodigious
quantities of spores which stain dark brown to yellowish-brown. I
don't see spore powder or staining on these specimens.

There is another possibility: Scleroderma sps. It looks like at least
one specimen has a root-like structure, possibly found underground.
These are common in some species of Scleroderma, and at least some
Scleroderma are still found at this time in Oregon.

Again, the identifying characteristics are found on the inside of the
fungus.

So, the first thing to do is slice the fungus in half. If the interior
is all one big spore mass, it is probably a Scleroderma.

If the base has pea-like structures, but the top is a powdery mass of
spores, it is likely Pisolithus tinctorius.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com