from a high school teacher.

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Mon Nov 4 03:47:44 EST 2002

rkurtz3 at juno.com ("Mr. M Kurtz") wrote in message news:<20021013.204935.11630.8.rkurtz3 at juno.com>...
> I have a student looking at organisms called Tardigrades.
> She wants to look at them in lichens to get information about
> their distribution.  I was wondering if anyone in this group would
> be able to send us some lichens for investigation.  If not any
> suggestions
> as to how she could obtain samples of lichens.
>
> Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Richard Kurtz
> South Side High School
> Rockville Centre, Long Island, NY

Locally lichens are found on rocks, buildings, tree trunks and
branches, and nearly any stable platform that has been in place for a
while. Lichens are very sensitive to pollution. As such, they _may_ be
rare in New York. But checking out some of the parks should show up
lichens on several locations.

I have a couple of species that I can send if you are still interested
in them. One is Lobaria oregana, I believe. (I'm not the world's
greatest lichenologists, but they can be keyed out on-line if you are
willing to take the time.)

Let me know what address you want these lichen samples sent to.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com