Please help identify this...

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Fri Nov 22 04:18:56 EST 2002

Pete <Pete532 at yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3DD52D69.229464AA at yahoo.com>...
> A jelly fungus? Pictures and details at
>
> http://www.seanet.com/~pmar/jelly.htm
>
> Thanks for your help!

First, some great pics, Pete! You have captured _exactly_ what was
necessary for identification. Small stipes are present, some thick
gelatinous cup fungi. I'm guessing the material may have been growing
on buried wood, is relatively small (1/16-1" diameter across each
cup). If true, the fungus _may_ be Guepiniopsis alpinus, which is
fairly common cup fungi growing on coniferous wood.

But...there are some aspects which do not match my own experience.

The most troublesome issue is that the cups seem much too thick,
nearly as thick as Bulgaria inquinans. Of course B. inquinans is rich
black and rubbery. It also tends to be quite a bit larger in size: I
have seen specimens nearly 4 inches in diameter early in the spring.

The thick jelly-like consistency of the cups is also not like anything
I have seen.

That leads me to a final guess: something new (at least to me). May I
suggest you save the photos on a floppy disk, dry one or more
specimens of the fungus, and send it to Dr. Nancy Weber or Dr. James
Trappe, co/ Forestry Sciences Lab, 3200 Jefferson Way, Corvallis, OR.
Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope so that they can reply to
you directly as to what the fungus is.

Good find!

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com