Help! What is this...?

Fred Stevens fstev at
Mon Oct 28 04:52:45 EST 2002

In article <cb7gruseev5airodr9p5apj9a7u072ns2n at>, Mycos <amanita-nospam at>
 <6dafee1b.0210162120.2637f50c at>
 <ur0eodng16r829 at>
 <6ht8rucgh66top2bgbemslai4h6j7kkcal at>
 <urf1kf2oj5io16 at> wrote:
>>Here's my guess:  It is transforming plasmodia of Lycogala epidendrum or
>>Tubifera ferruginosa.   Both are common slime-molds.  The former is very
>>common in PNW forests, and when ripe, looks like little red BBs.
>Speaking of.....I found attached to a Populus of some species, a
>little...what looked like a little gray puffball.But when I squeezed
>it, this bright, almost fluorescent looking pink slime came out from
>inside. I've never seen or heard of such a thing before or since.
>Any ideas?
>G. Williams

Another slime mold, probably a  species of Lycogala. Lycogala epidendrum  is
common in the Western U.S. The exterior is pink when young, greyish in age,
while the interior of young specimens is pinkish and gooey, ochre-colored at
maturity. I believe a common name for this slime mold is the "toothpaste slime