Fungi fd. 7 Sept. 2002

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Thu Sep 19 03:48:42 EST 2002

costfamily at aol.com (CostFamily) wrote in message news:<20020916210501.00904.00004415 at mb-fk.aol.com>...
> I had sliced matsutake cooked over charcoals in a traditional Japanese
> resturant last week in Yokohama.  They cost $30.00 a slice.  I couldn't believe
> it!
$30.00 a slice! I've heard matsu goes for as high as US$1,000/lb in
the past.

Well, it is _early_ in the season. Maybe Korea and China are not
producing as much matsutake as normal? I don't think the US is
producing much yet either. The big season is later in the year,
usually in October-November. But a lot depends on weather, especially
rainfall.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com