Big Hericium found

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Mon Sep 30 03:52:00 EST 2002

At a picnic held today at Washington Park (west hills), I found a huge
Hericium erinaceus: about 6-8 pounds total weight, even though it was
already starting to dry out. The fungus was found on a vertical scare
about 3 feet long and about 4 feet off the ground. It was located on a
Bigleaf maple (Acer macrophyllum), on a sheltered northeast facing
niche near the Washington Park Store.

I will probably dry the specimen for display purposes. The spines are
far too long for it to be very palatible, and I suspect it would prove
to be bitter as well.

This fungus has been commercial grown. But I have never personally
seen such a large specimen before. I presume that the sheltered
location and largely shaded area allowed the fruiting to continue
instead of being wind-dried early on in its growth. Most macrofungi in
this area, including Laetiporus sulphureus have not started fruiting
yet this year, as it has been too dry.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com