Truffle Forage results

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Mon Feb 3 08:01:25 EST 2003

According to Paul Bishop Sr., at least 49 people attended a joint
Oregon Mycological Society/North American Truffling Society forage
today at Mr. Bishop's tree farm located south of Oregon City, Oregon.
Most people found Tuber gibbosum var. gibbosum (the "original"
gibbosum). Many people also found Tuber gibbosum var. autumnale
(Oregon White truffle), even though this is extremely late in the
season for this species.

I brought a selection of about 2 ounces of fresh truffles grated into
cream cheese, which was served on fibrous crackers; and Truffled
Devilled eggs. Both hors d'oeuvres seemed to be well received, and in
retrospect I should have made at least another 36 Devilled Eggs for
the massed, hungry hordes.<G>

Other fungi I saw collected included:

Tuber sp. immature (similar to T. rufum or T. sphaerosporum)
Rhizopogon sps. (R. vinicolor?)
Hymenogaster sps. (various stages of maturity, from extremely young to
over-ripe)
Barssia oregonensis
Rhizopogon sps., which Adrian Beyerle feels is similar to a Gautieria
sps. I guess we'll have to wait until Dr. Trappe sends a reply on the
collections submitted today.

All in all a beautiful day, even though muddy in the extreme. Lots of
mushrooms still present, but I didn't notice anyone particularly
interested in mushrooms today...

The last four days yielded at least 3 inches of rainfall, and there
are numerous mud-slides in the area, which may have kept some people
away from the forage. Even so, we had a group from as far away as
Eugene. People began finding truffles quickly. I may have found the
largest specimen of the day, a hefty 3.5 ounce specimen.
Interestingly, it was found with at least 7 other largish truffles in
the remains of an old thatcher ant next, which had been abandoned for
at least the last two years. There were no indications of Douglas-fir
needles to my eye left in the humus. But the rich soil appeared to be
ideal conditions for truffle fruiting, based on abundance. Some
attendees even claimed I had planted them in that spot! (I wish it
were true.)

As an addenda, Dr. Trappe mentioned he would be publishing the
differences between T. gibbosum, T. oregonense, and T. wheeleri
shortly, possibly in the NATS Current News.

It was also very nice to see Judy Roger and Maggie Rogers. Judy is
recovering from an appendectomy which hospitalized her only days
before the Oregon Mycological Society Fall Forage in October. And
Maggie is delightful not matter what aspect of mycology she is
pursuing: dyeing, myxomycetes, or chanterelles.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com