Fungi fd. 1/25/03

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Tue Feb 4 04:42:47 EST 2003

e.hutton <caterpillar at amuscaria.uklinux.net> wrote in message news:<6fhe1b.g35.ln at localhost.localdomain>...
> Alter S. Reiss wrote:
>

> > "Daniel B. Wheeler" <dwheeler at ipns.com> wrote in message
> > news:pgpmoose.200301271056.7007 at net.bio.net...
> >> Fungi found Jan. 25, 2003 at Paul Bishop's (a week before the annual
> >> FREE truffle hunt):
> >
> > (. . .)
> >
> >> Witch's Butter (sorry, forgot the scientific name)
> >
> > Tremella Mesenterica, IIRC.  I rather like it in those "cup o' noodles"
> > type ramen soups.
> >
> Sorry you recall incorrectly. Tremella Mesenterica is Yellow Brain Fungus.
> Witches' Butter is Exidia glandulosa = E. plana = E.truncata, and is black.

Sorry, Alter. You recall incorrectly. According to Dr. Orson K.
Miller's "Mushrooms of North America" (my signed, second-edition
version has no printed date in it) under number 379 Tremella
mesenterica: "(S.F. Gray) Pers. ["Witches' Butter'].

I have seen the terminology used in other books as well.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com