S. pombe growth

Frajnt, Magdalena Frajnt at demogr.mpg.de
Tue Feb 4 04:42:52 EST 2003

I would like to get some information considering the growth of S. pombe.
It is known that S. pombe cells divide by medial fission. In effect each
of the "mother" cell splits into two identical doughter cells. On the
other hand there are some information about possibility of age asymetry
in the case of S. pombe cell fission.
So can we say that S. pombe divides asymetrically (at least in some
conditions)? Can we make a distinction between mother and dougter cell
in case of S. pombe ?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.
Magdalena Frajnt