Schizosaccharomyces pombe

Frajnt, Magdalena Frajnt at demogr.mpg.de
Wed Feb 5 04:40:12 EST 2003

Hi

I would like to get some detailed information considering the fission of
S. pombe cells. In the case of S. cerevisiae there is an asymetrical
division result in visibly distinguished mother and doughter cell. The
fission in S. pombe cell should result in two identical cells. However I
found some information that division in S. pombe could be asymetrical
especially in the case of older cells.
Does S. pombe divide symetrical or asymetrical? Can we make a
distinguish between mother and doughter cell in the case of S pombe?

Thank you for any suggestion

Magdalena Frajnt
---