Fungi fd. 1/25/03

e.hutton caterpillar at
Wed Feb 19 04:38:29 EST 2003

Daniel B. Wheeler wrote:

> "Jerry C" <ja_cooper at> wrote in message
> news:<SQn2a.83138$F63.1701274 at>...
>> All Tremella spp., sensu stricto, are parasites on other
>> fungi (even if it isn't obvious). In the case of T. mesenterica in
>> Britain the host is corticioid.
>> Jerry Cooper
> Thanks for posting Jerry.
> I followed your reply all the way thru until the last word.
> Corticioid. Never heard of it. It seems to be a reference to
> Cortinarius? If so, that's the first time I've ever heard of a
> Cortinarius sps. growing on either Douglas-fir stumps or logs: the
> typical location of where I find T. messenterica. I don't believe I've
> ever found it growing as a parasite on a Cortinarius mushroom.
> So...I'm guessing this is another word I'm going to have to learn.
> Someone feel like enlightening me?
Corticioid will be of the family Corticiacae, which are the resupinate
crust-like fungi usually found growing on wood. It is a fairly big family,
of absolutely no culinary interest whatsoever.
Edwin Hutton
...Grant we beseech Thee that, ... during our journeys through the
Internet we will ... treat with charity and patience all those souls
whom we encounter. Amen.From <>