Liquid germination of spores?

Bigbertha NoSpamToday at thankyou.com
Tue Feb 25 04:42:38 EST 2003

Hi all,
       i heard of a way to germinate spores using liquid media rather
than agar-agar plates.  The guy who explained it to me said that using
this technique i would dramatically reduce the colonisation time on
grain media.

1- Germinate the spores in 3/4 of a mason jar using 89% water, 10% malt
and       1% yeast.

2- Make sure you have sufficent air in the mason jar (1/4).

3- Give a generous shake to that jar 2-3 times daily. Make sure to shake
the jar at least 1 minute this should be sufficent for the spores get
their oxygen from that shaking.

4- Between each shake, store the jar on it's side rather than lid UP, in
a relatively warm place.

5- Do this for a week or so. That should give the spores more than enuff
time to germinate. Prepare the grain media and pour 10% of content
(Liquid media) over grain media. Distributed evenly, one jar of liquid
media should innoculate 10 grain filled mason jars. This is of course,
if you use same size Mason jars during the whole process.

Here's what that guy told me. Feel free to try it but please i would
like to have more information and reply from people who had experiences
with a similar technique.